Monday, October 13, 2008

Where's Waldo

So in proving that I obviously don't do a good enough job protecting my privacy, I looked and found myself on the public internet. So when I googled Monica Jonen. The first result was my amazon profile, which shows what I've browsed before and what I am interested in buying. I wrote a review for a teapot that I bought too, which it shows. Oh wow, not very exciting since I mainly order my textbooks online.
The next result is my blogger page! Yup, my profile that I have on this site. Which only gives out my location (a computer in Tacoma) and my general interests (movies/t.v/interests). So far not too scary. Although my picture is up on my profile, so that kind of gives away what I look like. Which has a link to my myspace page which is set to private thank you very much!
My favorite is the result after that, it's a company's (If you can call it that) website that sells salsa mix. I wrote a review for them and they me over in the testimonial's side.
Okay so so far, I like to buy things on the Internet and blog! The search results for me are pretty accurate actually! Mainly because I use my name and am pretty active on the Internet.
I am excited about the next few results because they are my published articales in the online version of The Ledger! The meet and greet and husky voices have my name under them because I wrote them! That's pretty cool.
There is also the letter to the editor in The Olympian and the mention of me in the Evergreen Echos.
My blog post about Steve Jobs is on there as a result, which is neat as well. Than a Friend of mine on facebook comes up, as well as my own facebook picture and tidbit. I love it though because they have the location of Olympia and I've moved! So they no longer have the location, nanner, nanner!! Well actually I could change that, but I dont want to because I feel like I am living the live of a ghost lol.
Myspace and Facebook give out my age and a picture of me and the state in which I live. Other than that, they are private profiles. I only accept freind requests from people I know physically.
Zillow.com I located my home in Olympia which was hardly visible since its in a bunch of trees.
My new home you can locate exactly since it's in the city. That is kind of creepy, becuase it's the actual location of someone's residence.
On intellius.com, my mom, dad and brother are on there, but my age is not! Surprisingly, I am the only Monica Jonen on intellius.
When I searched my commonly used user name. I found a lot more of my profiles. Diigo profile, youtube videos I added and my profile, a ton of progressiveU blogs I posted, twitter updates and my live journal blog. So I got a lot of results with my username.
Overall it was kind of weird to be able to see my profiles, my blogs and things I've been published in. Any random stranger is able to find out a lot of my own personal thoughts and daily happenings. I realized how much I do on the internet and that was kind of a bad thing. I am so out there, that there is no way of going back and becoming anonymous. Once my profiles and blogs are on the web, a trail is created and there is no way of completly deleting your identity.
I am sort of okay with this since I willingly put my thoughts out there, perhaps I'll say less about my location and day to day going ons. With livejournal, progressiveu, twitter, blogger, myspace blogs and facebook..I realize I have a lot on the internet about me.

No comments: