Thursday, October 16, 2008

Virtual Shopping


Since the Internet and I are so closely connected, its no wander I like to buy and sell online. My brother is worse than me, books and cds are constantly showing up on the doorstep. He doesn't order much of anything else online though. I think I may have bought a piece of jewelry once, but other than that I've pretty much kept to text books. Selling my old ones to pay for my new ones.

I think the public hasn't quite gotten comfortable with buying personable items through amazon or retail store websites. Which is ironic because through craigslist there willing to meet a perfect stranger to look at goods. Still clothes, shoes, food, appliances, I think these things will always be kept in our stores. For one if your in an apartment, you can't order anything too too large and a lot of people live in the city. The feel of shoes and clothes are never the same because one size doesn't always mean the same thing with different brands.

For me, I think I want to try out ordering shoes or maybe a jacket just to see if things actually fit. I bought two shirts online once and the sizing was so completely wrong. Of course I am too lazy to ship it back to them so my money is spent and I am left with two shirts that don't fit. So I am not comfortable ordering anything with a size associated with it because I don't want to waste my money.

However shopping online whether it's on ebay,
amazon or any other retail site has it's advantages that physical shopping does. I like the fact that you can search for something and add it to my shopping cart. I am the kind of person that only goes into a store if I need one thing and I usually come out with maybe two things. So direct shopping online is nice. Of course the websites have their ways of trying to lure you into buying more than you need. Just like a regular store, but its much more personable. For instance, they wont just recommend things on special, but they'll look at what you've boughten or looked at recently and make the recommendations based of that data. Which is pretty irritating for me since related textbooks aren't usually going to be of interest to me.

I do however like that at the end, they add up the subtotals before everything is "rang up". You can return things without having the cashier call it a void and than have to embarrassingly as for a manager's signature on the void. So I worked retail for a while lol.

So like a very direct person like me, I like the advantage of shopping online, but there will always be things I will have to go the store for like groceries and shoes.

No comments: