Thursday, October 23, 2008

An Artificial status

I love facebook honestly, but the concept that things such as relathionship status and one lin-er status headlines are ridiculous. I recently changed my relationship status on facebook and five people commented on it. None of them heard the situation from me and none of them knew the context in which it happened.

The assumptions and interest made me think of how artifcial and clueless social networks make us. Instead of details, emotions and a real life context in which things happen. We are condensed into "Monica is......"what are you doing here". Her relationship status is either, "Single, married, in a relationship or it's complicated." That's it there are no other options. Even if we were given chance to explain our relationships or our statuses, our status in this world as it relates to others and how we feel about ourselves, is still percieved in their own way by others on msypace or facebook.

Of course that is the purpose of social networks to give an impression of oursleves to our freinds. It's condensed, artifical and out of context though! We have to gather the pieces and base our opinions off of assumptions. Not face to face communication or first hand expereinces with that person.

Than theres the other purpose of social networks is to network and communicate with each other. In other words, commenting equals endorphans and feelings of acceptance. These comments are usually one lin-ers or within hours of each other. Instead of calling up a freind and asking how are you? How are you feeling? It's a reply to your status which is unexplained and usually misinterpereted.
Yea, I am a little frustrated, but I dont blame my freinds. It's the social network technology that makes everything so non-emotional and artificial in our social lives.

1 comment:

Special K said...

I HATE the whole myspace thing. I guess since I did Running Start instead of high school I never really "got it." I remember once at work someone asked me what my myspace and I was like, "what?" I was a senior in high school and didn't have a myspace! How embarrassing! Anyways, I avoid it at all costs, and I hate that since I've made one (just so i could look at other people's pics!) people are always like, "why didn't you comment back? I left you a message on myspace!" I'm like "uh... email please." and they don't get it.