Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reporting on Detention



Today I went down to the Northwest Detention Center that detains over 1500 immigrants and deports over half of the immigrants that come through the center.
I went to collect sources for my investigative report at UWT, during a protest.
I still had my camera, reporters notebook and rain coat, but what I witnessed was completely different. It wasn't a family friendly environment. Families were walking into visit their missing family members and rying to prevent their loved ones from being shipped thousands of miles away.

I talked to an Indonesian Lutheran Pastor who heard about when the NWDC shipped a whole airplane load of Asians out of the country at once, detainees had not signed the voluntary deportation form.

I talked to an activist who was put in jail for being at the center while they would put long term detainee immigrants on bus's and park them in parking lots for a day while they processed immigrants that would be shortly deported.
NWDC makes more profit of long term detainees.

I talked to a One America representative who reminded everyone that coming into the country illegally is a civil offense, not a criminal offense and shouldn't be detained because of it.

This day was very different, then when I took a snapshot of a happy spanish worker at Concrete Tech.

No comments: