Monday, February 8, 2010

Interviewing Activists and Immigrants

Today, I interviewed one of Tacoma's activists against the Northwest Detention Center (NWDC) which has seen the equivalent of the population of Bainbridge Island come through their doors since 2004. 80% of the people that go to the NWDC are deported. Children are left without parents and there is little legal representation for the non-English speakers who are citizens of other countries.

This past month, my eyes have been opened and my time has been consumed with this immigration problem. While working at Tacoma Community House(TCH), I have learned what the troubles of immigrating and what its like to start over new. The joyful smiles of the new citizens and now English speaking immigrants/refugees however, weigh ever so lightly on the unequal scale of unjust (Administration) of deporting immigrants and refugees. Where on the other side there are tears of an activist who has seen young children miss their parents, while parents must leave their children behind and are left with little understanding to what the word deportation means.

What does this mean for me? It means I have an obligation to write about everything I have heard. It means my articles and PR for TCH has a significant place in this community. A community that isn't fully aware of the detention center on tide flats.Through my writing, I hope to establish awareness, pool together people for a common cause and inspire change.

No comments: