Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On Monday, I had all day to investigate Geo Group. Here I will log what I do for my investigative reporting class.
I started out my day by listening to an hour long conference call where Geo Group announced their fourth qaurter earnings. I learned of the many expansions they have planned for this upcoming year and how much they made last year. Which was over a billion dollars by the way. There was also a direct correlation between the more beds eqauling millions of dollars more in profit. At the end of the conference call, a caller asked if the construction in Tacoma had been completed and the chairman said yes it had. This is a lie, because if you go down to the detention center, you will see incomplete side panneling, construction trucks going in and out and cranes within the fencing.

After a call with a local activist, I learned how much they make per detainee per day, which is $60. This activist also reminded me of the food poisoining that occured in 2007 which made 300 people ill. So I got on the phone to the local health department asking if they had given employees (detainees working for a $1 a day) food handlers permits. They had no record of holding a training for them.

The Tacoma News Tribune retrieved the inspection by the health department of the detention center. This article, while a secondary source, provided good information of the food poisoning outbreak.

In the following days, I read the audit by ICE and the One America report of the detention center.

No comments: