Friday, November 21, 2008

Tacoma Culture


Today was a long interesting day that seemed eventually centralize around a theme. To be chronological, I started out making an amazing egg sandwich with salsa, cheese and scrambled eggs. Than I buckled down on my Internet Class homework for a few hours. After deciding I had ADD and could not focus since the Internet was just a click away. I went to a movie. I watched The Secret Life of Bees in the Grand Cinema of downtown Tacoma.
After walking through the cold, but interesting Fawcett Ave, I arrived to the small theater that only has I believe four or five screens. There was a bunch of retired old folk that were there too because it was the middle of the day on a Friday. Normally young college students are preoccupied with class, work, homework, etc. Not me though, I had become restless so here I found myself walking through a small volunteer run theater to see a movie I'd randomly decided to go see.
What ended up happening was me watching an emotionally heart wrenching movie that moved me to tears. I don't want to give away the story line, but lets just say it had to do with abusive situations between family, African Americans, racism, death and life. All set within a beautiful pink house in South Carolina and the 60's. I didn't expect the movie to be so powerful or intense. Either way, I am glad I went and saw it because it was amazing.
After coming back to the apartment and having dinner. I persuaded my neighbor who is a good Friend to walk with me to the Art Slam at the Rialto Theater. Which I found through FeedTacoma.com. I think we were both pretty impressed. For me, the art was wonderful, but the poets and spoken word that I found interesting. Just to clarify, the Art Slam was a bunch of artists putting together a short slide show of their work and than having 50 artists slide shows being shown. Anyways, the spoken word was composed of three African Americans and two Caucasians. Topics like hilltop being displaced and the minorities being discriminated against in the city were presented through spoken word. Slavery and the history of African Americans in this country were also put out there through poems. I was really moved by all of the art through film, paintings, poems I witnessed tonight. Tacoma for me has a lot of culture as for tonight. Overall, a night well spent.

No comments: